Water Abstraction Permit: (Hydro power projects only)
Any hydro power project must obtain a Water Permit from the Water Resources Management Authority. The Authority has 6 Regional and 26 Sub-regional offices. (Please see http://www.wrma.or.ke/index.php for regional offices). Applications can be submitted at the sub-regional level. Hydro power plants are the only renewable energy projects under FiT obliged to obtain a water permit. Though geothermal plants should obtain a water permit according to the CEO of the WRMA, such projects are omitted in the Rules and, therefore, can operate without a water permit.
- Purpose: Regulation and management of water resources.
- Application Fee: Kshs. 1,000-40,000
- Clearance Fee: Kshs. 0-50,000,there is an additional payment of water use charges of 5cts per kilowatt of power generated. This applies after the construction of works when the project is in use.
- Maximum Processing Time: Depending on the size of the project, the procedure takes between 1 and 6 months to obtain the authorization to construct, the final permit is issued immediately after completion of the structure. 30 -60 days
- Validity: Indefinite
- Clearance Type: Permit
- Legal Basis: Water Act 2002, Water Rules 2007.
- Annual Renewal: The license is renewable after 5 years
- An application form from WRMA duly filled
- Company registration certificate and PIN
- Land ownership documents
- Site assessment, description of water use and technical reports of the project
- Soil and water conservation plans
- Copy of receipt of payment
- Application is done to WRMA through sub regional office
- Relevant fee for the assessment of the application is paid
- Technical assessment of the project is carried out at the sub regional office
- Authorization to construct is issued at the regional office
- Physical inspection during construction of abstraction works is done at the sub regional office
- Application for the Water Abstraction Permit is done at the sub regional office
- Evaluation and assessment is done at the sub regional office
- Issuance of the Water Permit